This is a drill designed to improve player speed and conditioning while dribbling the ball.
1. Two teams are to assemble on either side of the goal near the edge
of the 6-yard box. Each team consists of 3 players. Preferably, each
player on each team is wearing a different colored pinny.
2. Player 1 from each team starts the race by dribbling to the other end of the field, first hitting the near-side goal post with a ball and then hitting the other goalpost with a ball.
3. They then dribble to the opposite end of the field (where the
game began) and pass the ball to Player 2 who continues the relay.
4. Players must successfully hit each post before they may continue to the next phase of the relay race.
5. The team to complete the relay first wins.
Points of Emphasis
Kick the Post is a game designed to test a player’s conditioning and decision making when out of breath. During Kick the Post, instruct players to…
– Run with their heads up and try to keep the ball close to their feet.
– Take risks in shooting at the post from a distance but remember valuable energy can be lost running after the ball if the post is missed.
As players gain an understanding of the game, further variations include:
1. Using more targets to kick, such as setting up cones.
2. Forcing players to shoot at the posts from a distance.
3. Requiring offensive players to use both feet when taking shots at the post.
Motivation / Teaching Tips
Tip #1 – Reward offensive teams that win the relay.
Tip #2 – Encourage players to take calculated risks by shooting at the
posts from a longer distance if they feel confident then can make it.
Tip #3 – Reiterate that kicking the ball and running after it is not the same as running with the ball at your feet.